lundi 25 décembre 2023

Christmas Celebration

If you know me very well you might know that I don't really like Christmas.
While I love gifts, I'm not found of extended family reunion. My first "best" Christmas was the one I spent alone at home. Ever since, Christmas is not a shore anymore.

But if there's a thing that I've always liked in this time of the year, beside the snow, it's the Christmas deco.
We rarely do a christmas tree, mostly because we search a way to do it without an actual real tree every time and we don't like synthetic ones. But... something we do more is the village with nativity figures (we call them Santon in French).

Santon are a long tradition in Provence, they are made with terra cota, and all of ours are handmade by different craftpersons. The unpainted one are from my childhood as my grandmother used to gift one every Christmas, so they are thoses she gave us. Then me and my mother started to choose and buy them ourselves, building our village years after years.

In 2021 for the winter fun photoshow, I did a picture involving modelhorse and my santon for the first time... I really liked the result!

This year, not only we did a Christmas tree...

But I also set up the Santon village...

This gave me the idea to ask if you wanted another modelhorse picture with them, and I got a massive yes as a reply.
So well...

For Christmas Eve;

For Christmas Day;

If you are wonderin' why it's very blue, that's because those blue Santons are my very favorites...

How much do you like this?

4 commentaires:

  1. This is the first time I've ever heard about or seen these, but they are enchanting. I particularly like the camel.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. It's quite an old tradition. Glad I get to let you discover it.

      Supprimer
  2. I meant that I knew about Nativity figures, but I'd never seen blue ones like these. Also, the name Santon is new to me. How lovely that you could collect them with your family through the years. I have only a few Christmas tree decorations from my family and only one made with the help of my Mom.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Blue ones are a specialty of one craftwomen. Each santonnier (people who do santon with terra cota as craftperson) have it's own specialty in sculpting and painting them.

      Supprimer